Friday, January 28, 2011

Volume 49: The Decemberists

As I've alluded to, 2011 is off to an incredible start new music wise. The Decemberists' latest effort The King Is Dead, is no diversion from the theory. On my first run through, Down By The Water was the song that stuck with me after. I intentionally went back and put it on repeat and let it play for about 40 or 50 minutes.

From the opening drum beat and the harmonic hymn of the harmonica, the song just really gets a great kick start. Then it moves along into the verse and chorus where it really finds its momentum and then plateaus. Some would say a song hitting a plateau is a bad thing, but is it necessarily bad if the plateau is higher than the most songs? I think not, in fact I think it's a great thing that this song can sustain it's momentum and high quality for so long.

The video below is from their Leno set a week ago and very comparable, if not better than the album version.

No comments:

Post a Comment